Do you want to study during the holidays or prepare for an exam?
Are you writing a seminar paper or a thesis?
Are you preparing a course for the winter semester 2017/2018?
Would you like to use the library for research purposes?
If so, please read the following important information:
1. Transition to new library system software (Alma)
In the summer of 2017, the University Library of Vienna will implement a new library management system. In the course of this changeover, there will be service interruptions from 11 to 20 August:
Loans, reservations & My Account
- There will be no access to the library account.
- No books can be borrowed.
- Borrowed works which are not yet due at the time of the transition are extended. However, already overdue books are not extended, i.e. the reminder fees will continue to accumulate. Therefore please be sure to return your works in due time.
- Book returns are possible during the system change. The will be booked after regular services have resumed and be dated on last day before the service interruption.
- From August 10, books cannot be ordered nor reserved. Please note: As some libraries are closed during the summer, it may not be possible to order books from these libraries as early as mid-July.
- Existing reservations, stored database sets, search profiles and the list of former loans cannot be imported into the new system.
Use of e-resources and open shelves
- Searches in u:search will be possible except for short-term service interruptions. The search engine of the Austrian libraries association works normally.
- Access to the electronic resources is possible as usual during the system change via u:access.
- The use of the open shelf media is possible, depending on the opening times of the libraries. Please note the information on our web pages, as some sites remain closed during the conversion phase.
2. Closure of Large reading room of the main library
The glass roof of the main reading room of the main library is being renovated during the summer, requiring the closure of the room from early July to early September. The other areas of the main library remain open and accessible.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused by these measures.
Your staff at Vienna University Library
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the staff of the ubw:helpdesk: