Harry R. Allcock. - Second edition. - Hoboken, New Jersey Wiley, 2020
This textbook introduces the reader to the elementary chemistry on which materials science depends by discussing the different classes of materials and their applications. Each chapter contains study questions to enable discussions and consolidation of the acquired knowledge. The new edition of this textbook is completely revised and updated to reflect the significant expansion of the field of materials chemistry over the last years.
Felicitas von Aretin. - Erste Auflage. - Berlin Insel Verlag, 2020. - (insel taschenbuch 4795)
Das grandios recherchierte Buch zeichnet die innovativen und mutigen Lebensentwürfe der ersten berufstätigen Akademikerinnen nach, die sich Anfang des vorigen Jahrhunderts in allen drei deutschsprachigen Ländern für ihre Rechte stark machten und ein internationales Netzwerk begründeten.
Jyoti Prasad Banerjee, Suranjana Banerjee. - Boca Raton CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
• In depth description of semiconductor heterojunctions, lattice strain and modulation doping technique • Covers transport in nanostructures under an electric and magnetic field with the topics • Presents the optical processes in nanostructures under a magnetic field • Includes illustrative problems with hints for solutions in each chapter
Douglas E. Barrick. - Boca Raton London New York CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, . - (Foundations of biochemistry and biophysics)
This book provides a comprehensive, contemporary introduction to developing a quantitative understanding of how biological macromolecules behave using classical and statistical thermodynamics. The author focuses on practical skills needed to apply the underlying equations in real life examples. The reader is presented with plenty of exercises and problems to facilitate hands-on learning through mathematical simulation.
Brett Borden and James Luscombe. - Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2020
• Provides a streamlined approach to the subject by putting the focus on the mathematical topics that physical science students really need • Offers a text that is different from the often-found definition-theorem-proof scheme • Includes more than 150 worked examples that help with an understanding of the problems presented • Presents a guide with more than 200 exercises with different degrees of difficulty
Françoise Brochard-Wyart, Pierre Nassoy, and Pierre-Henri Puech. - Boca Raton CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
• Accessible and compact approach • Contains interesting examples from everyday life (including the Paris Metro, a water spider, a gecko, and duck feathers) • Accompanied by additional exercises to enhance understanding available for download from the CRC Press website
Jed Brody. - Cambridge, Massachusetts The MIT Press, . - (MIT Press Essential Knowledge series)
An exploration of quantum entanglement and the ways in which it contradicts our everyday assumptions about the ultimate nature of reality.
Sean Carroll. -, [New York City] Dutton, an imprint of Penguin Random House, 
Something Deeply Hidden’ shows for the first time that facing up to the essential puzzle of quantum mechanics utterly transforms how we think about space and time. Carroll’s reconciling of quantum mechanics with Einstein’s theory of relativity changes, well, everything.
Michel Claessens. - Cham : Springer, 
• The only account published of the ongoing ITER fusion energy project • Examines the history, technical challenges, economics and international politics of this globally important endeavour • A must read for anyone interested in the energy future of our world
Peter J. Collings, John W. Goodby. - Second edition. - Boca Raton CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
• Introduces and explains the essential elements of liquid crystal science, including discussion of how liquid crystals have been utilized for innovative and important applications. New to this edition are over 300 figures, 90 end-of chapter exercises, and an increased scope that includes recent developments. • Immerses the reader in the vocabulary, structures, data, and kinetic models, rapidly building up an understanding of the theories and models in current use.
Robert Delbourgo. - New Jersey : World Scientific, 
The author shows that one can successfully unify gravity with electromagnetism geometrically by adding a single complex anticommuting coordinate to spacetime. By adding extra four anticommuting properties, associated with strong and weak interactions, one can get a unified picture of all the natural forces and particles including the ’standard model’. The monograph traces the history of attempts of unification before explaining the author’s ’where-when-what’ scheme.
Sebastian Dörn. - 2., verbesserte Auflage. - Wiesbaden : Springer Vieweg, 
Ein leicht verständliches Buch, um einfach und schnell Python zu lernen. Sebastian Dörns Buch „Python lernen in abgeschlossenen Lerneinheiten“ bringt Einsteigern anhand in sich abgeschlossener Lerneinheiten die Grundlagen von und das Programmieren mit Python bei.
Jeff Greensite. - Second edition. - Cham : Springer International Publishing, . - (Lecture notes in physics 972)
• Written by a leading expert in quark confinement problems • Gives a clear introduction to gauge theories involved in confinement problems with special emphasis on lattice formulation • New chapters include the center vortex theory and varieties of confinement existing in gauge-Higgs theories • Useful both as a reference and self-study guide
John Gribbin. - Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press, 2019
In this concise and engaging book, astrophysicist John Gribbin offers an overview of six of the leading interpretations of quantum mechanics. Gribbin calls his account “agnostic,” explaining that none of these interpretations is any better—or any worse—than any of the others. Gribbin presents the Copenhagen Interpretation, the Pilot-Wave Interpretation, the Many Worlds Interpretation, the Decoherence Interpretation, the Ensemble “Non-Interpretation”, and the Timeless Transactional Interpretation.
Nikolai A Gromov. - New Jersey : World Scientific, 
The aim of this book is to develop a contraction method for classical orthogonal and unitary groups (algebras), and apply it to the investigation of physical structures, offering a new and unique interpretation to the high-energy limit of the Standard Model. Absent in all known literature, this book would be the first in describing the dynamics of particle properties and their interactions at different stages in the evolution of the Universe.
Etienne Guyon, Jean-Yves Delenne and Farhang Radjai ; translated by Erik Butler. - Cambridge, Massachusetts MIT Press, 
In this book, pioneering researchers in granular matter explain the science hidden behind simple grains, shedding light on collective behavior in disordered settings in general. Drawing on recent numerical simulations as well as classical concepts developed in physics and mechanics, the book offers an accessible introduction to a rapidly developing field.
Erich Hamberger und Herbert Pietschmann. - Freiburg ; Basel ; Wien : Herder, 
Der Kommunikationswissenschaftler Erich Hamberger und der Physiker Herbert Pietschmann unternehmen eine spannende Reise durch die Natur- und Geisteswissenschaften, durch unseren Alltag und unser spirituelles Erleben. Sie zeigen: Energie ist das, was die Welt im Innersten zusammenhält.
Vagn Lundsgaard Hansen; revised with Poul G. Hjorth. - Second edition. - New Jersey ; London : Singapore ; Beijing ; Shanghai ; Hong Kong ; Taipei ; Chennai ; Tokyo : World Scientific, 
In this second edition, the notions of compactness and sequentially compactness are developed with independent proofs for the main results. This edition also covers a new section on partial derivatives, and new material has been incorporated to make a more complete account of higher order derivatives in Banach spaces, including full proofs for symmetry of higher order derivatives and Taylor’s formula. Readers will find numerous new exercises at different levels of difficulty for practice.
Moritz Helias, David Dahmen. - Cham : Springer, . - (Lecture notes in physics 970)
• Provides the first self-contained introduction to field theory for neuronal networks • Presents the main concepts from field theory that are relevant for network dynamics, including diagrammatic techniques and systematic perturbative and fluctuation expansions • Includes in-depth derivations of classical seminal works and recent developments, such as the dynamical mean-field theory and chaos
Archibald W. Hendry. - New Jersey ; London ; Singapore ; Beijing ; Shanghai ; Hong Kong ; Taipei Chennai ; Tokyo : World Scientific, 
This book spells out in detail how the age of the Earth has been determined over the centuries. First — the ’biblical’ age. Next — the response of geologists (and Darwin) for a very old Earth. Then, Kelvin’s calculation of how long it would take for a hot Earth to cool down to its present state. And finally, today’s answer (’billions’), based on the properties of radioactive materials. So, how old is Planet Earth?
by Steven Holzner with Daniel Wohns. - Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., . - (For dummies ; Learning made easy)
For students who just need to know the vital concepts of physics, whether as a refresher, for exam prep, or as a reference, Physics Essentials For Dummies is a must-have guide. Free of ramp-up and ancillary material, Physics Essentials For Dummies contains content focused on key topics only. It provides discrete explanations of critical concepts taught in an introductory physics course, from force and motion to momentum and kinetics.
Paulo Ribeiro, Maria Raposo, editors. - Cham : Springer, . - (Springer series in optical sciences 223)
• Displays both theoretical and practical aspects of recent advances in optics, photonics and laser technology • Represents a valuable source for researchers, engineers, students and business industrial staff in this field • Introduces many important practical applications, including optical communications and energy harvesting
Kurt W. Kolasinski. - Fourth edition. - Hoboken, NJ, USA : Wiley, 2020
This revised and enhanced fourth edition covers all the essential techniques and phenomena that are relevant to the field. The text elucidates the structural, dynamical, thermodynamic and kinetic principles concentrating on gas/solid and liquid/solid interfaces. It incorporates new end-of-chapter exercises, the solutions to which are available on-line to demonstrate how problem solving that is relevant to surface science should be performed. Each chapter begins with simple principles and builds to more advanced ones.
. - Cham : Springer, . - (UNITEXT for physics)
• Clear explanation of difficult fundamental concepts • Coverage of new topics in physical optics • Exhaustive treatment of sampling theory and its application • Introduction of a novel technique based on ray tracing • Many informative figures and diagrams
Edoardo Lauria, Antoine Van Proeyen. - Cham : Springer, . - (Lecture notes in physics volume 966)
• Co-Authored by a leading researcher in supergravity theories • Modern primer on supergravity at the graduate level • Course-based, concise and self-contained, it is enriched with tutorial exercises
Barry R. Masters. - Cham : Springer, . - (Springer series in optical sciences 227)
• Contains English translations of seminal papers that are historically and pedagogically relevant • Gives detailed tutorials on many optical topics that are underdeveloped in similar books • Discusses the ethical dimensions of the discovery of each relevant microscope • Emphasizes the importance of attribution of credit for inventions and appropriate citation of prior works • Presents a critical analysis of the benefits and limitations of each microscopic technique
Afshin Moradi. - Cham, Switzerland : Springer, . - (Springer series in optical sciences 230)
• Covers novel, technologically relevant 2D systems as well as classical 3D systems • Requires only basic electromagnetic theory as a prerequisite, making the book highly accessible • Brings together many results on plasmonic boundary-value problems in a systematic way
Sarhan M. Musa. - Dulles, Virginia : Mercury Learning and Information, 
This book deals with the basic concepts of geometrical and physical optics, including lasers and fiber optics. It contains numerous diagrams, worked-out examples, and related questions-answers to help readers in the comprehension and appreciation of the concepts.
edited by Carlos Pérez de los Heros. - New Jersey : World Scientific, 
This book introduces the reader to how fundamental topics in particle physics can be studied with the largest neutrino telescopes currently in operation. Written by carefully chosen experts in the field, the book introduces each topic in a pedagogical way apt not only to professionals, but also to students or the interested reader with a background in physics.
Arash Rahimi-Iman. - Cham : Springer, . - (Springer series in optical sciences 229)
• Offers an overview of polariton Bose-Einstein condensation and the emerging field of polaritonics • Discusses the role of external fields used for the manipulation and control of exciton-polaritons • Pursues an uncomplicated and intuitive approach to the topics covered
Michel Rausch de Traubenberg, Mauricio Valenzuela. - New Jersey : World Scientific, 
This book is devoted to a pedagogical introduction to supergravity from a practical perspective. As a particular feature of the book, the authors provide explicit details, which makes the computations easier to follow for the interested reader. Each chapter has summary tables, which contain the main results and, in addition, we have collected important or additional material in the appendix.
Erasmo Recami. - New Jersey ; London ; Singapore ; Beijing ; Shanghai ; Hong Kong ; Taipei ; Chennai ; Tokyo : World Scientific, 
An English version of the original is very appropriate at this juncture, when more and more scholars in the world are getting convinced that he was really a genius "like Galileo and Newton". This book traces the extraordinary life of Ettore Majorana — through his letters, documents and testimonies from his friends and family members. What makes this book more fascinating (as a detective-story too) is his mysterious disappearance at young age. This book, therefore, is both a biography and a mystery book.
Sergio M. Rezende. - Cham : Springer, . - (Lecture notes in physics 969)
• Serves as a text for beginning graduate physics and engineering students in magnetism and spintronics • Features end-of-chapter problem sets • Extensively referenced with both historical and contemporary peer-reviewed literature • Covers a range of topics such as ferromagnetic resonance, theory of spin waves and magnon spintronics
Gordon Rugg and Marian Petre. - Third edition. - London : Open University Press, 2020
Returning in its 3rd edition, this bestselling book on the process of PhD research provides friendly, engaging, and realistic advice on how to complete your doctorate. The authors offer an accessible, down-to-earth, and insightful account of the whole PhD process. Their advice addresses how to avoid some of the pitfalls en route to a successful submission.
Michael V. Sadovskii, Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia. - 2nd edition. - London ; Singapore ; Beijing ; Shanghai ; Hong Kong ; Taipei ; Chennai ; Tokyo : World Scientific, 
The book is intended to teach students, postdocs and young theorists to use diagrammatic quantum field theory methods applied to different problems of modern condensed matter theory, using specific examples of such problems. This latest edition is extended by the inclusion of some new material on superconductivity and diagram combinatorics.
edited by Tim Salditt, Alexander Egner, D. Russell Luke. - Cham : Springer Open, . - (Topics in applied physics 134)
• Provides an ideal introduction to, and survey of the exciting field of nanoscale imaging with photons • Open access book suited to graduate students and researchers • Presents a record of the immense progress achieved by a multidisciplinary team of leading researchers • Demonstrates the vast range of applications of forefront photonic imaging techniques
Auch online verfügbar: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-34413-9
Kev M. Salikhov. - Cham : Springer, 
• Provides a comprehensive review of theoretical and experimental studies on spin exchange and its applications • Presents the state of the art in calculations of spin exchange constants and analysis of spin exchange in EPR spectroscopy • Describes the current protocol for determining the spin exchange rate by analyzing the shape of the EPR spectra
edtied by Kristof T. Schütt, Stefan Chmiela, O. Anatole von Lilienfeld, Alexandre Tkatchenko, Koji Tsuda, Klaus-Robert Müller. - Cham, Switzerland : Springer, . - (Lecture notes in physics volume 968)
• Provides an in-depth referenced work on the physics-based machine learning techniques that model electronic and atomistic properties of matter • Highly interdisciplinary, it focuses on diverse fields of investigation such as physics, chemistry and material science • Readers will be able to build powerful multi-step frameworks to facilitate targeted, rational design in quantum physics, quantum chemistry and beyond
David W. Snoke. - Second edition. - Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2020
• Identifies the unifying concepts across solid state theory that are essential for graduate students and particularly relevant for experiments • Clear examples are included to demonstrate practical applications to real experimental topics • Exercises are provided in each chapter, and a full solutions manual for instructors is available online • Detailed appendices are included to review the basic math methods used in the text
James S. Walker, Gary W. Don. - Second edition. - Boca Raton : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
• Now updated for more consistent expectations of students’ backgrounds • More accessible for students with limited musical backgrounds • Full-color presentation • Includes more thorough coverage of spectrograms for analyzing recorded music • Provides a basic introduction to reading music • Features new coverage of building and evaluating rhythms
David Gordon Wilson and Theodor Schmidt ; with contributions by Jim Papadopoulos. - Fourth edition. - Cambridge, Massachusetts ; London, England : The MIT Press, 
This fourth edition covers recent experiments and research on human-powered transportation, with updated material on cycling achievements, human-powered machines for use on land and in air and water, power-assisted bicycles, and human physiology. The authors have also added new information on aerodynamics, rolling drag, transmission of power from rider to wheels, braking, heat management, steering and stability, power and speed, and other topics. This edition also includes many new references and figures.
Jerry D. Wilson, Anthony J. Buffa, Bo Lou. - Eight edition. - Boca Raton ; London ; New York : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
This new edition provides a streamlined update of a major textbook for algebra-based physics. The first volume covers topics such as mechanics, heat, and thermodynamics. The authors provide emphasis on worked examples together with expanded problem sets that build from conceptual understanding to numerical solutions and real-world applications to increase reader engagement. This textbook is highly recommended for students seeking a basic understanding of key physics concepts and how to apply them to real problems.
Jerry D. Wilson, Anthony J. Buffa, Bo Lou. - Eight edition. - Boca Raton ; London ; New York : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
This new edition provides a streamlined update of a major textbook for algebra-based physics. The second volume covers electricity, atomic, nuclear, and quantum physics. The authors provide emphasis on worked examples together with expanded problem sets that build from conceptual understanding to numerical solutions and real-world applications to increase reader engagement. This textbook is highly recommended for students seeking a basic understanding of key physics concepts and how to apply them to real problems.
edited by Kaoru Yamanouchi, Dimitrios Charalambidis. - Cham : Springer, . - (Topics in applied physics Volume 136)
• Covers a broad range of topics, including femtosecond laser filamentation, light-dressed spectroscopy and laser-driven ion acceleration Reviews the latest advances in the field of ultrafast intense laser science • Includes an introductory overview in each chapter, helping researchers who are unfamiliar with the specific topics grasp the most important points discussed
Stanley Manahan. - Tenth edition. - Boca Raton ; London ; New York : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
With clear explanations, real-world examples and updated questions and answers, the tenth edition of Environmental Chemistry emphasizes the concepts essential to the practice of environmental science, technology and chemistry while introducing the newest innovations in the field. This readily adaptable text has been revamped to emphasize important topics such as the world water crisis and it details global climate change to a greater degree than previous editions.
Paul Wagner, Georg Reischl, Gerhard Steiner. - 4., überarbeitete Auflage. - Wien Facultas, 2020
Der Schwerpunkt dieser Einführung liegt in der knappen und geschlossenen Darstellung. Besonders die begrifflichen Grundlagen werden ausführlich erläutert, die physikalisch-anschauliche Bedeutung mathematischer Beziehungen herausgearbeitet sowie diverse physikalische Problemlösungsmethoden vorgestellt. Aus Anlass der umfassenden Neudefinition des Internationalen Einheitensystems (SI) wurde ein Kapitel über die nunmehr gültigen Einheitendefinitionen aufgenommen.
Signatur: PHY-178/ : 1.Ex.
Auch online verfügbar: https://content-select.com/index.php?id=bib_view&ean=9783990309896
101.2020. - New York, NY, [u.a.] : Wiley, 2020
The 101st volume in this series for organic chemists in academia and industry presents critical discussions of widely used organic reactions or particular phases of a reaction. The material is treated from a preparative viewpoint, with emphasis on limitations, interfering influences, effects of structure and the selection of experimental techniques. The work includes tables that contain all possible examples of the reaction under consideration. Detailed procedures illustrate the significant modifications of each method.
Signatur: 200725 / 101
Zürich : ETH Zürich, 2020
Welchen Forschenden gebührte Ehre? Welche Meilensteine markierten die Weiterentwicklung der Lehre? Und welche Forschung sorgte für Furore? Der Geschäftsbericht zeigt, was die Hochschule 2019 erlebt und geleistet hat.
Signatur: 44735 / 2019