Find the answers to frequently asked questions here:

Question Answer
Can I find English language newspapers and magazines in the Library?
  • The Library offers a variety of English and American Studies academic journals, both in paper form and online.
  • As we are an academic library, our holdings do not include newspapers or weekly or monthly general magazines.
  • However, you can access the LexisNexis database provided by the University Library, which offers access to newspaper and journal articles.
Who can borrow what kinds of books/library items?
  • All readers with valid library cards
  • Whether or not books can be borrowed can be seen in the book information available via u:search.
  • Generally speaking, language dictionaries (W-), reference works (A-), journals (Z-I), theses (Z-IV), items in reserve collections (Semesterhandapparat), current school books (SUY-0) and related items and any items published more than a hundred years ago can be used in the library only.
Why are current school books and related media published after 2004 (shelf SUY-0) not loanable? Are there exceptions
  • This part of our holdings was mostly given to us as a present by the didactics teachers in the department to make availabe to students in the library.
  • Non-book materials (dvds, cds) need to be pre-ordered via u:search a day before they are needed.
  • If you need a short-time loan of an item from this collection to take it an English Studies didactics class for a presentation, ask at the library counter for the form to fill in. You will need to leave an ID card behind and return the item afer three hours, during our opening hours.
What does the information "Kopierverbot" mean that is printed on many books?
  • We would ask our readers not to photocopy dictionaries.
  • With any other books, please contact the librarian on duty at the informaton desk.
  • You are welcome to use the free book-scanner or take photos with your mobile phones.
  • Austrian copyright applies.